Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Where the Homeless Sleep

I recently had the honor of working on a project that was quite a detour from shooting the bedrooms of the rich and famous. Instead, I spent two days shooting the "bedrooms" of the homeless. Back in February, I was asked to shoot a feature for Mobile Loaves and Fishes' magazine Twelve Baskets. Alan Graham, President/CEO of Mobile Loaves and Fishes, Robin Finlay, Matt Rainwaters and myself ventured deep into the woods, climbed under freeway overpasses, and visited ARCH (Austin Resource Center for the Homeless) to document the sleeping arrangements of Austin's homeless population.

More importantly, today (April 27) Mobile Loaves and Fishes launch their new campaign, I AM HERE, to raise visibility of our homeless brothers and sisters. Coinciding with the release of the magazine, the organization has also rented a billboard on which Danny, the homeless man featured on the cover, will be living for the next two days. Only 1200 $10 donations will get Danny down off the billboard and into a permanent home with his wife, Maggie. So please, donate $10 by texting "Danny" to 20222.

This issue also features breathtaking portraits by my fiancé, Matt Rainwaters, as well as amazing work by my dear friends, photographer Adam Voorhes and art director, Robin Finlay, who also designed the magazine.

Here's a few of my favorite images from the shoot. Be sure to the check out the magazine to see more - and please, donate if you can.

Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Very cool. You might like these as well. I have some other homeless links you may find interesting.

    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=209835&id=662208763&ref=mf

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more: http://weareallhomeless.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete